15/04/2015

Long Time No Post!

It has been almost a year since my last post- I found myself trying to paint a volume of figures for gaming instead of painting purely for the pleasure of it, got rather bored, and so I had a break. To freshen things up, I then decided to try a different scale and era, so having seen some fantastic painted figures on the internet and various blogs of modern warfare miniatures from Elhiem Figures, I ordered a batch and got painting.

My first efforts at this scale were okay-ish, but not a patch on others that I had seen.






These are Elhiem's Afghan/Taliban figures...






And a few more....



I also had a few Britannia 20mm figures, but didn't make much of an effort with the goats!




I also bought  some minis from Liberation miniatures, and found them to be more in the style of the Britannia offerings, but I haven't taken any pictures of those yet.

After clearing out a cupboard, I discovered a large number of painted and unpainted minis from Britannia's Vietnam range- poorly painted- so they've been stripped off and I'm working my way slowly through those.




This is one of the re-paints, and it brings me to my latest revelation. I have always avoided black undercoating in the past, but I have now realised that I have been wasting my time a little. I know that those of you who are experienced painters will know the pros and cons of various different undercoat/primer colours- I guess black/white/grey etc all have their applications, but the beauty for me is the way a black undercoated figure is so forgiving- missed a little bit? It just looks like shadow or similar. So easy for scruffy daubers like me!

I returned recently to 20mm WW2 minis from Britannia (I used to have a sizeable collection when poor old Dave Howitt was still with us) but they were sold a long time ago. I started off with a few-black undercoat by now- so here are some...




As you can see, a mounted SS trooper (yes, I know the collar decoration isn't correct) base to be finished.


SS sniper team (same collar problems)
















Fallschirmjaeger MG40 team





Afrika Korps officer


Afrika Korps Motorcycle/sidecar combo


Finally, some modern German troops kitted out for 'Afghan'.

All the figures in the last eleven pictures have had the black primer treatment. I painted some other modern Germans in exactly the same colour scheme as these with a grey undercoat, but in comparison they look dull and washed out. I suppose for reality's sake, that is probably okay, but for table top miniatures, I like a bit more contrast.

If any of you more experienced types out there would like to give me some pointers on how to improve my technique, I would be grateful to hear them.







 

14 comments:

  1. Hey, Gunny! Nice painting, sir! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks very much Keith- glad you like 'em!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! You have been rather busy awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simon! Much appreciated. I'm toying with the idea of trying my hand at the larger scale of 28mm again, but the technique has to be a lot different I believe, so I may not be up to it, but I could have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, very impressive, love the Afrika Korps Motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much Phil- I did a stupid thing with this and assembled it before painting, so the trick was to photograph it so the insides of bike and sidecar don't show! Sneaky!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back with a vengeance! Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Barks! I'm still in there trying!

      Delete
  8. You're back :) Good to see these, I think the Vietnam soldier and the Afghan civilians (especially their goats!) are my favourites. What can I say, I'm a bit odd ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you Allison? I've made the odd comment on your blog during my absence- you are still doing some great work I love it!!

      Delete
  9. This game is interesting! If you enjoy playing complex board games that require a great deal of strategy and detecting the motivations of others, then you should give Lagim Card Game a try. The game is inspired by Filipino folklore and mythology. It is the type of game that will take time to get used to, but it is definitely worth it if you're willing to put in the effort. Visit their page for more info :)

    ReplyDelete